Thursday, November 9, 2017

A Veterans Day Thank You, The Least I can do!

On Saturday we pause to thank our nation's Veterans.  Regardless of what side of the aisle you align yourself with politically, regardless of your position on a given conflict or war, irrespective of your position on a president's foreign policy, it is essential, in my opinion, that we as a country support the men and women of the armed forces.  

Some men and women enlist in the hope of a better life; some, like Pat Tilman, enlist out of a sense of duty and patriotism. Pat Tilman, a name all Americans should know and celebrate, enlisted in 2002 after witnessing the horrors of 9/11.  That is not what makes Pat Tillman’s story unique.  

He decided to put his professional football career on hold to join the U.S. military; he walked away from a successful football career with the Arizona Cardinals, and a 3.6 million dollar contract, to join the U.S. Army. "Sports embodied many of the qualities I deem meaningful," he said in 2002. "However, these last few years, and especially after recent events, I've come to appreciate just how shallow and insignificant my role is.” I dare say you can count on one hand the number of individuals who would do what he did.   In a fateful twist of irony, Pat Tilman was killed by friendly fire.  

The military is not about the individual, however.  It is about team and unity. Nothing exemplifies the armed forces belief that all Veterans should be respected equally more than the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is perpetually guarded by sentinels from the 4th Battalion of the 3rd United States Infantry Regiment known by its nickname, "The Old Guard."

Although the Tomb of the Unknowns holds the remains of only a few individuals, the monument honors the many unidentified soldiers who gave their lives in armed conflict. The first 24-hour posted guard began at midnight, July 2, 1937. The Tomb of the Unknowns has been guarded continuously, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, since that time.  

Not only is it perpetually guarded, but the soldiers never break routine even after Arlington National Cemetary closes and nobody is watching.  The soldier "walking the mat" does not wear rank insignia, so as not to outrank the Unknowns, whatever their ranks may have been. 

Watching a soldier “Walk the mat” until relieved of duty at the Changing of the Guard should be required viewing for all Americans.  It is beautiful.  It embodies the qualities instilled in the military: commitment, leadership, discipline, organization, teamwork, and sacrifice. 

To date, I have traced my roots as far back as my grandparents.  I am proud to say that both my grandfathers, my uncle, and my father all served in the Army.  

One grandfather served in the Pacific during WWII.  The other parachuted into France the night before the D-Day invasion.  I have often wondered how he felt boarding the plane. Surrounded by scared men to his left and right, what was going through his mind as he shuffled to the door, jumped from the plan, and floated to the ground? He was wounded in the war but survived. My uncle was shot in the jungles of Vietnam.  Also wounded but survived. 

I was too young to thank my grandfathers for their service, and I never told my uncle that I was grateful and proud.  Opportunities missed, so thank you, Henry, thank you, Tom, thank you, David, thank you, James.  I draw strength from their service, as whatever the perceived hardship I am enduring at any given time pales in comparison. 

It is not just about the men and women in uniform, however. It is also about the sacrifice of military families along with the millions of veterans who live humbly among us.  You pass them at the mall.  You pass them at the grocery store.   They are living in your town, and you pass future veterans in our halls. 

I encourage you to find a Veterans Day ceremony on Saturday.  Sit quietly and listen, and when the service is over walk up to a Veteran and say thank you. It is the least we can do. 


With Gratitude,


Michael J. Mastrullo




1 comment: