Friday, March 8, 2019

International Women's Day



Nike Dream Crazier 

In honor of International Women's Day, I am sharing a Nike commercial with the fantastic title of "Dream Crazier."  It gives me goosebumps each time I watch.  

As a father of two amazing little girls, ages 13 and 11, I prefer to keep my conversations with them in the affirmative zone when discussing issues related to women, so we talk often about respect, empowerment, and strength.  

I talk, listen, and guide without preaching. Learning from them while trying to teach them to be healthy, strong, assertive, while remaining compassionate and kind.  I do not believe those paradigms are mutually exclusive.  Incorporating cliches that might belie originality but are no less true. Be a leader, not a follower, and do the right thing even when nobody is looking. 

Serena Williams is featured and narrates The Nike commercial referenced. An excellent spokesperson for women.  I am a big fan, writing glowingly about her several times in this blog.  

The commercial is powerful, and I encourage you to watch it.   I love the following line from the commercial, "It is only crazy until you do it. Just Do It!" When women make the impossible seem possible, it inspires the timid and challenges the bold.  The commercial highlights women athletes to make their powerful point, but it applies to all women and it transcends sports.   

The picture below is that of "The Fearless Girl" by artist Kristen Visbal which still resonates with me.  The defiant girl was placed in front of the bronze charging bull located near the New York Stock Exchange to "call attention to the lack of gender diversity in the management of companies as well as how few women work in financial services, and the fact that they get paid less than men." The photo below speaks for itself.  

Although progress has been made since the Nineteenth Amendment was ratified in 1920, I am hopeful that the future for my daughters and the future for all the women and girls across the globe is bigger than the past.  


Happy National Women's Day from a proud father.  






No comments:

Post a Comment